Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sergio Perez Q&A: McLaren have made huge leap since Jerez

McLaren’s new driver, Sergio ‘Checo’ Perez, was quick to play down his fastest time around Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya on Wednesday. But given team mate Jenson Button’s similarly impressive performance at the first test in Jerez, even Perez was forced to admit the future is looking bright for the Mexican and his Woking colleagues…

Q: Checo, what was your impression of your car today?
Sergio Perez:
It’s been a good day. I am very happy with our program - we’ve managed to run our full program today, so I am very happy about that. So far my first four days with the team and in the car have been great and hopefully on the last two days we will be able to again do very productive work.

Q: You are at the top of the time sheet today - and Jenson did pretty well in Jerez - so is it fair to say that the new McLaren is a pretty fast car and that it has what it takes?
SP:
To be honest, I have no idea where we are. The time sheet looks nice for sure, but what it really means who knows? All I can say is that I know that we still have a lot to do before the first race.

Q: You are now in your second week of your ‘new’ life at the track with McLaren. How does it feel? Isn’t there a huge amount of pressure on your young shoulders?
SP:
It just feels fantastic. To be here gives such a boost in motivation - I just can’t wait to get to Melbourne!

Q: Before it was a good race position that made your day. Now nothing less than wins will do…
SP:
Well, but isn’t that what every driver dreams about - to be given the car that can deliver? Well, then you better had deliver. I am sure I will get to Melbourne 100 percent ready. The last two days I will have in the car next week will finalise my preparation perfectly - and then Oz, here I come! (laughs)

Q: So once all the focus is on Melbourne, what could make you worry? And what would make you happy in between now and March 17?
SP:
The thought that racing is just around the corner makes me happy. We do tests because it is the only way to collect important data, but other than that it is boring. Racing is what makes your heart beat faster. What do I worry about? Nothing to worry about - just a huge workload still ahead. I want to improve myself even further, I want to improve the car and be in the best-prepared way.

Q: What does that top spot on today’s time sheet mean to you?
SP:
Not much. It is nothing more than testing. Tomorrow everybody will have already forgotten about it. It has no significance. Sure it is nice to see your name up there, but you don’t get anything for it. What really meant a lot is that we obviously made a huge leap forward from Jerez to Barcelona. The car is now coming my way much more naturally. It’s a good sign.

Q: But is your name in the top spot some sort of omen? Do we have to get ready to see your name up there from now on?
SP:
Ha, I hope so. Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment